Monday, February 14, 2011

Dorkie

I write about my friend, Dorkie. He is my senior during high school. My best friend back then had a huge crush on him She would tell me in admiration that Dorkie is a "genius". She refers to him as "handsome and smart"; the finest qualities she looked for in a guy. She was very shy though that she ended up stalking him in the Computer Laboratory. I was her ever supportive best friend.

On a fine day, our Computer Teacher gave us an assignment on Programming. We had to create a game. As far as I can remember, we had to use the "if...then" program language. It was a work to be done in pairs. Of course, Rheena and I were partners. We both hate computers programming. Then again, being part of the top students in class, we have a reputation to take care of. :)

So there we are, looking for a vacant computer when all of a sudden, I spotted a seat. I pointed Rheena towards the direction and she went RED. Dorkie was seating next to it. Rheena showed me a "NO WAY!" expression and I laughed. I never listen to her and we ended up seating next to her ultimate crush. I looked at him and he was creating a tic-tac-toe game. I went "WOW!". He looked at me and I smiled. I said "Hi!" and he gave a smirk and continued on doing his game. Rheena gave me a painful pinch and I continued on distracting Dorkie.

Rheena was already sweating like a pig and told me that she'd kill me. I had a proposal in mind; I told her to ask for help from the Dork. Her eyes were teary now, she's really not okay with my actions.

"Kuya..." I said in my sweetest tone. "Oh?" Dorkie said. "Can we have your program? We don't know how to make a game and we should submit it tomorrow," I asked. He laughed a bit and told us that it was okay. However, he told me that the program is not that "perfect" yet. I said it was fine. And so he gave me the copy to his program. I giggled and was happy. My friend whispered a soft "Thank You" and stayed silent. I asked Dorkie if I could play his game and he allowed me.


This Dorkie of mine is not just an ordinary student. He is under the first section and was a CAT Officer. I look up to his classmates/batchmates because they are very friendly (one quality seniors should possess). They were the best--brains and beauties. I admired them all. I wanted to be just like them and promised myself that I will also become an officer when I reach Senior Year. I did.

10 years passed. I was on my addict mode on Facebook. I went on greeting Dorkie's classmate/ My Grade School Patrol Leader/ My High School Idol; a happy birthday. He greeted her too. It was on her page that I saw Dorkie again. I added him up right away. Little by little, we became chat buddies (self-proclaimed).

       Dorkie turned out to be a good photographer.

He followed his love for computer language and made it his career. He took good photos--GREAT PHOTOS. most of the time, I volunteer to keep him company during his work. He easily share some stories with me, and I really find it comfortable to tell him stories too. He didn't mind my being "talkative" in chats because he is a silent person.

I will never forget out first "activity" together. I insisted and FORCED him to do a photoshoot since he said he needed practice for pre-nupt shooting. I volunteered to produce models--and we did a photoshoot. It was a laugh. The sun was high and Dorkie was stuck with crazy "models". Dorkie and his friends are scheduled for a trip in Dapitan for the official pre-nupt shoot.

Dorkie's friends can't make it. He told me during our chat. I was having a bad week at home so I told him that I can keep him company. I told him I'd bring my sister along and he was fine with it. We went to Dapitan and had fun. We were welcomed by a rainy night followed by a gloomy morning and a sunny afternoon. I met familiar faces. They were medical students from my school. They were friendly Ateneans and it made us feel more relaxed. We visited tourist spots and the ever-so-famous ZipLine.




On our last night, Dorkie's car met an accident. A hit-and-run as they called it. the left rear light was broken. Dorkie was angry but kept his cool. He would utter these words "Sige lang".

Back to Zamboanga, I would often ask Dorkie if he would like to go out and eat. We ate pizza once on a place recommended by Kuya El. The pizza was what we call "maka-umay" (I'm not so sure if I got it right). We also went out for a riverside trip twice and a night-out to kill boredom. Dorkie rendered us a prestigious honor to hear him sing. We were happy laughing and teasing each other.



Now, my Dorkie is no longer here. He's now in Manila as requested by his office. I am happy for him because he gets to socialize now. At least, he can actually be with his workmates. I know he is very excited to venture out again and enjoy real company. I miss my Dorkie that's why I made this blog. I can no longer kidnap him if I get real bored. Oh well, we shall see each other someday. I miss my Dork.




Visit his wonderful site for fascinating photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchuck/

No comments:

Post a Comment