Monday, February 14, 2011

My Valentine

It is traditionally a day on which lovers express their love for each other by presenting flowers, offering confectionery, and sending greeting cards(known as "valentines"). The day first became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished.

There is an additional modern embellishment to The Golden Legend, provided by American Greetings to History.com, and widely repeated despite having no historical basis whatsoever. On the evening before Valentine was to be executed, he would have written the first "valentine" card himself, addressed to a young girl variously identified as his beloved, as the jailer's daughter whom he had befriended and healed,or both. It was a note that read "From your Valentine."

(Source: www.wikipedia.org)

Earlier this morning, I went to town to process some documents needed for my job application. I passed by my Alma Mater and saw flower vendors. It's February 14--I reminded myself. I went to a known mall at the city proper and was amazed by a stall where bouquets are for sale. It was the first time I saw a flower booth there. Balloons were everywhere and heart-shaped decorations filled the stores. "Lovebirds" scattered on the streets, showing off their sweetness and smiles. It was as if everyone got married--except me. 

I remembered the many experiences I had on Heart's Day.



2005 The first time I was in a relationship, I felt awkward as the calendar marked Feb 14. I wanted to absent myself from classes fearing that my partner would do something "stupid". Then again, I had exams on my majors. I had my class on the 4th floor of a grey building in my school and we just got dismissed. There he was, standing...holding a balloon arrangement with some flowers on it and a smile on his face as he happily handed me his Valentine's present. I went berserk; I refused to accept it and so I swiftly made my exit. He felt bad--SUPER! My friends gave a bad look and told me that I was rude up there and I didn't care. For me, I felt humiliated--I don't want "public expressions of love". I explained and on our way home, I accepted his gift and felt happy inside.

2006 The second time we had our Heart's Day, he was careful on choosing a place to hand me my flowers. This time, it was in a bouquet! GHAWD!!! I exclaimed. Where the hell am I gonna hide this thing? I asked him. He told me I can actually show it off cause that's what the others do. I looked at him with my eyes fixed on his and he knew I was not happy. I told him to carry the bouquet the entire day and that I will only take hold of it when I reach home. He was annoyed but was already immune to my "anger". It was also our last Valentine's Day together.

2007 He sent me a long-stemmed rose and placed it in my locker. We are no longer in a relationship and I thanked him for the effort. I went on with the day spending time with friends and laughing at people's "romantic" moves.

2008 I had a new boyfriend. He didn't buy me anything and I was okay with it. I had classes til 730pm. He fetched me and told me that they were having a party at home. I went with him and we ate dinner together. He took me to their computer room and played our favorite song by Utada Hikaru. We danced sweetly as we both laughed at each other. It was lovely. After we danced, we went out and played with the kids (his cousins).

2009 We did not spend Feb14 beautifully. He was a band member and they were booked for a gig. I did not go with him because I was not invited. I was sad and angry. It was one of the biggest fight we ever had.

2010 Much more trouble came our way; we broke up. However, someone made my Feb14 special. He was a workmate. He sent me flowers at home. 12 roses in a bouquet. I was more than happy and I felt special. Although he was not my boyfriend, my heart was blissful. It was followed by a dinner with my ladies--three of us ( Maan, Ichie, and Me) spent the Valentine's Day at our favorite RestoBar wearing a dress. There was a fireworks display on some famous Hotel nearby and we watched it happily.

2011 I got a call from someone very dear to me and he was whispering sweet words that includes "Happy Valentine's". He's in  the middle of an operation and he called. He's very sweet and thoughtful. Another friend greeted me with a text message; it was a poem and it made me laugh. He was my past boyfriend. But what highlights my Feb14 this year is the dinner with my Ladies. This time, there's five of us: Danelle, Ichie, Maan, Tin, and Me. Still, we will celebrate this day as single ladies (all are involved in a complicated relationship, except for Danelle). I'd rather label it as complicated so as not to complicate things.

Feb14 is not intended for spending roughly a month's allowance for cakes, flowers, cards, stuffed toys, and the like. It is a day wherein you give that extra touch of love in your relationship. A flower is never enough to cover for the scars you made in each other's heart. A mere act of sincere reconciliation is highly appreciated. We should know that love doesn't spring only in a day but in a lifetime filled with trials. It is up to both of you to help each other go through each obstacle and declare victory hand in hand. Feb14 would be the best time to remind each other of your love and that everything will be all right.

Throw away those flowers, toys, cards, etc. Pull each other closer, Smile, Kiss, Hug, and most importantly---TALK. :)

That would be all.

Happy Feb14.

No comments:

Post a Comment