Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SORBETES AND OBOY

It’s almost Summer and the heat is on. Hello, Sorbetes.
Sorbetes is a Philippine version of ice cream, made from coconut milk, usually peddled from street carts. It is served with small wafer or sugar cones and sometimes on plastic cups. Sorbetes is peddled by sorbeteros using colorfully painted wooden carts which can accommodate three flavors, each in a large metal canister. Peddlers ring a handheld bell to attract consumers--particularly, KIDS. 
The wooden cart has two large wooden wheels at the front part to give Peddlers an easy push. The cart is stuffed with shaved ice sprinkled with salt to produce a lower temperature around the metal canisters and keep the sorbetes frozen longer.
Back then, I remembered my Mama’s words: “DIRTY YAN! (That’s dirty)” Well, I’m just a kid! Sorbetes are also called dirty ice cream. It has a unique taste that kept me craving for more rather than the present commercial ice creams. I would take my siesta just so I can be rewarded a cone of sorbetes. Sometimes, I would go on and order one big cone of sorbetes from Manong and lick it so that it’s good as sold. Then, I would go to my Mama or Dada and show them that I already ate the ice cream; of course, they would now be obliged to pay. They will scold me for my action but I would just smile at them and let them see that I’m happy with my sorbetes. Those were my childhood days.
The kid in me never died. One hot afternoon, as I was out with my boyfriend(now my ex), I remember asking him to stop by a Sorbetero so that I can eat my beloved ice cream. He was amused by my childish side and could not believe that I still eat sorbetes. I told him it’s my favorite and so he bought me three servings (five pesos for each big cone). I was contented and the heat of the sun can’t stop me from smiling.

 And then, there’s the famous OBOY. It’s an ice cream on a popsicle. Peddlers carry a big ice chest and a handheld bell. Inside the chest are the OBOYS wrapped in newspapers and a Good morning Towel. The ice drops are kept cold. There are various flavors to choose. Here are some that I remember: Durian, Chocolate, Mango, Nangka, Monggo, Buko, Vanilla, Ube, Cheese, and Strawberry. 
Nowadays, I can’t seem to find a store or a peddler selling OBOY.
Before, when we reside in Putik, the Sorbetes Peddlers never visit our subdivision. Maybe because the place is far and it’s difficult to reach by foot. That’s why, Sari-Sari stores sell OBOYs. I am not a fanatic of OBOYs but they sure can make Summer Heat enjoyable. 
Sorbetes and Oboys are my Summer Buddies back on the good old days. Of course, the ever so famous ICE CANDIES are unbeatable when it comes to prices. However, it’s that “ice cream” flavor that made Sorbetes and Oboys place on my “I-want-to-eat-this list”. It’s ICE CREAM made cheaper and tastier.
I hope to hear that bell ringing once again. Now that I live in Sta. Maria, I bet it’s quite reachable for Peddlers. If ever I hear that bell again, I will surely get hold of my coin purse and enjoy several cones of Sorbetes. Or Oboys. Whichever.

No comments:

Post a Comment